To create a contact list that you can import into Mailroom, you will need to create a spreadsheet and save it in a standard comma delimited (.csv) format.
Formatting your contact list
When importing your contact list into Mailroom, the column headings from your spreadsheet will be used as references to link them to the right heading fields – so you will need to use these exact headings, in this order:
- First Name
- Last Name
- Business Name
- Email Address
If you ensure that your spreadsheet is correctly formatted with the above column headings in the first row of your data table, as shown in the following example, your contact list will import without any issues.
Saving your csv file
- Create your contact list in your spreadsheet software (such as Microsoft Excel)
- Click File
- Click Save as
- Select .csv as your preferred file format from the drop down menu
The contact list is ready to be imported.
Creating custom fields
The headings in the example above are already in built into the Mailroom application, however, you have the option to create custom fields that you can add to your csv file, should you require more detailed information.
- Login to the Console
- Manage your domain
- Click [Mailroom] in the left column
- Click the Contact Lists tab
- Click View Custom Fields in the dropdown menu
- Click the Creat Custom Field button
- Select the Text Field option from the Custom Field Type option.
- In the Custom Field Name type in the name of a contact list heading - e.g. First Name, Last Name, Address, Business Name, Email Address etc.
- Click [Next] to proceed, and complete any custom fields requirements.
- Select the contact list you want to add this custom field to.
NOTE: For more information regarding each field and what they are for, move your mouse over the question mark icon for a definition.
Importing your contact list
Now that your contact list and custom fields are setup correctly you need to import your contacts.
- Click on Contacts from the main menu of Mailroom
- Select Import Contacts From File
- Select the contact list you wish to import contacts into
- Click [Next]
The Import Contacts from a file page is now displayed. The .csv contact list file may now be imported into Mailroom
- Click [Browse] and locate the .csv file on your computer
- Select the file on your computer and click [Open]
- Click [Next]
- This takes you to the Import Contacts page where you will select your import fields which correspond to your csv file. The text underneath Link Import Fields corresponds with the column headings of your spreadsheet
- Select the custom fields created within Mailroom from the drop down list thats relates to the column headings on the left. Mailroom will import the data under each column heading and link the data to each custom field
- When you are finished, click [Next]
- You'll then be prompted to Start Importing. If there are any problems, Mailroom will respond with an error on the page. If no error occurs your contacts have been imported successfully
To view your new contacts
- Click on Contact Lists
- Click on View Contact Lists
- Locate your contact list and click on View Contacts from the column heading on the right.